Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Early Tuesday Morning, 5/14/13 @ 1:10 am

Early Tuesday 5/14/13 @ 1:10am

Another loud scary night in the shock-trauma ICU. The crowds that come for stabbing and shooting patients can be pretty frightening at times. Everyone thanks me for the updates, but sometimes it's the journaling that is what keeps me somewhat sane here. At times I feel like a homeless person trying to protect my cart.....only it's my chair and foot stool! Bobby a...nd us are the only two families who sleep here that have been here this long now. There is one other lady, Lonnie, whose husband has been here for a month. Most of the families come and go....some are moved to a room and some don't make it. There's only chairs to sleep in and a few foot stools. Sometimes the people here turn their music up loud at night, get into arguments and scream profanity at each other. Sometimes I think the security guards are even scared of them. It's is really a sad and scary place to be at some nights.

Samuel seems to be having a good night though! He is sleeping fairly well and his pain seems managed better than usual. Today I ventured out and asked how long it usually takes someone at this point to get to go home IF nothing else goes wrong. They told me about ten days, but it can vary. I know to go home we need a lot less tubes, so lets pray that we can start getting rid of some of the tubes. I counted them today and with the six IV lines, NG tube, feeding tube and all, he has 12 tubes still. We will need do lose most of those to go home.

Hopefully losing a few more tubes will get him out of STICU and into SIMU (Intermediate ICU). When that happens, one of us can sleep in the room with him, but we have to sleep in plastic gloves and a plastic gown. That should be fun when you are claustrophobic! Getting sleepy now. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment