Saturday, June 1, 2013

Last Wednesday

Wednesday - 5/29/13

We had a phone appointment with Samuel's doctor at Johns Hopkins this morning.  I explained what all has taken place with Samuel since I had spoken with him a couple of weeks ago. He reassured us that Dr. Kozar and the trauma team at Memorial Hermann have done everything they possibly can do to give Samuel the best shot possible. He said the name of the game at this point is healing and that he wants to see Samuel taking in as many calories a day as he possibly can.  We will be starting him on Ensure today. Dr. Gearhart remembered how when Samuel was four and in really bad shape that he responded by not really wanting to eat.  Fifteen years later, he is still sort of like that, but he also understands that to give himself the best chance of reconstruction in six months, he has got to eat. We still have to push him to eat though. 

Today he ate breakfast and we drove to the ranch to see a new baby calf that was just born. Then we parked the Suburban and watched the girls barrel race and practice pole bending. It was windy and didn't seem too hot. I kept asking him if he wanted to go to the house, but he just wanted to sit in the car and watch them...so we did.  We had a late lunch and then he slept the rest of the afternoon. I woke him up to come back home.  I think Samuel likes being at the ranch more than at our house.  It is where he has lived for almost two years now while in college.  All of our kids like being there. It only has a tiny little house, but everyone is outside anyway so it doesn't seem to matter much. It is so dusty right now though.  We really need rain and we keep missing it. 

I am starting to adjust to all the things I need to do to take care of Samuel and I can do it much quicker than I could a few days ago, but it still takes some time.  I am really thankful he is here though and that I have the opportunity to be his mom and take care of him. We weren't sure that was going to be the case just a couple of weeks ago. So much to be thankful for....

No comments:

Post a Comment